Tuesday, September 10, 2013
Benefits of Folic Acid for everyone
Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) is essential not only in pregnant women for the formation of the neural tube, but also for a heart healthy diet. Lack of this vitamin in both men & women can lead to a host of ailments including heart disease.
Fact: A major risk indicator of heart disease, elevated homocysteine in the blood, is directly related to folic acid and Vitamin B deficiency which can cause:
- serious artery damage
- cervical cancer
- macular degeneration
What does Folic Acid Do?
Vitamin B9 plays an important role in many body processes. Among them are cell maintenance and repair, synthesis of DNA, amino acid metabolism and formation of red and white blood cells. In addition to high cholesterol levels, an equally important risk indicator of heart disease is increased homocysteine, an abnormal protein byproduct.
Where is Folic Acid Found?
- Asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, spinach, beet roots
- Yeast: whole wheat breads
- Dried beans
- Vitamin B9 Supplement is the *BEST SOURCE*
How does it affect me?
Unfortunately many medications, tobacco & alcohol can decrease the levels of folic acid in the body including:
- birth control
- alcohol consumption
Folic Acid BENEFITS
1. Alzheimers disease - studies have shown people with this disease have lower levels of folic acid in their blood
2. Parkinsons disease - studies have shown people with this disease have lower levels of folic acid in their blood
3. Heart attacks & strokes - folic acid is responsible for the decrease in levels of homocysteine, which is elevated in people with coronary heart disease.
4. Cancers - on going research is being done to understand the benefits of folic acid in the fight against colon and breast cancer.
5. Anemia - essential in forming new red and white blood cells.
6. Depression - Vit B6, B9, B12 helps alleviates chronic depression by lowering homocysteine levels in the blood
What's your number?
150 mcg for kids between 1-3 years
200 mcg for kids between 4-8 years
300 mcg for kids between 9-13 years
400 mcg for teens and adults
600 mcg for pregnant/nursing women
What's the key? PREVENTION, PREVENTION, PREVENTION
Visit Dr. Stephanie Woo, DC-MBA at ChiroConcept of Bellevue or Bailey's Wellness to get your nervous system checked for optimal health & the very best supplements.